Thursday, December 23, 2004

In No Sense

Was all alone when the lights faded,
A serene moment juxtaposed in the silence.
You could hear the wind rustling the leaves,
And the soft sob, the heaving release.
Turning around I saw, innocent eyes
Gazing at me in mock surprise.
Sitting in the shadows his features glow,
The freshness of spring, like a brook did flow.

I remember you, but you can’t recall
My face, unchanged by many a fall.

Familiar but distant, clouded by life,
His face had a purity untainted by strife.

I was with you building castles of sand,
Wondering about stars and staging mock wars.
Cycling down the lane, wind in your face,
Arms stretched, with a seagull’s grace.
I felt the pain when the snowballs hit,
The satisfaction, after a banana split.

Who are you? These words escape,
Surprise and fear, such a vague shape.
The smile that plays on his soft lips,
Never to be captured, in some lost clip.

Something you lost many a fall ago,
Your innocence am I, the tears began to flow.

* * * *

I wait for him on lonely nights,
Restless and nervous, before a fight.
The memories reopened an old wound,
A bird without wings, I was marooned.
Unable to relive, the joy that did last,
Into the fiery world I was cast.
Innocence unearthed from the grave,
I never was your slave.

No comments: